Since "Utopian Fiction" is one of my listed areas of interest in the MLA directory (eh, it's a pretty limited list), I sometimes get mailings about studies on utopian fiction. I just got another one. Not only is it a photocopy of a mailing order form from Acme University Press, the author's name is handwritten above the return address of a branch campus of Looney Tunes University. So, from what I gather, the author of this particular study went through the MLA directory and found everyone listed under "Utopian Fiction," photocopied the order form from Acme University Press, and then personally (or his PA did) sent out announcements.
That's a hell of a way to sell a book.
If it wasn't 40 dollars I might buy it just to commend the guy's work ethic.
2 comments:
There are so many awesome things about this post that I don't even know where to start.
And I had to remove "Asian American lit" from my list of interests because I kept getting notices about the most annoying books....
I've also decided that if a career in academia doesn't work out, I'm going to get a job naming things in World of Warcraft. I think that the "Twitchy Pantaloons of the Wise-Cracking Meerkat" could fetch a high price.
And I bet they'd boost your agility!
Post a Comment