Title

A place without gurus monarchs leaders cops tax collectors
jails matriarchs patriarchs and all the other galoots who in
cahoots have made the earth a pile of human bones under
the feet of wolves. - Jake the Barker

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Novel Idea.

So, I've decided that to reach my full genius potential, I have to write a brilliant novel.

Now, I've already decided that this will be a realist novel (think Howells, or maybe Updike) that focuses on the mundane daily life of an average American family. However, to really be brilliant, I've decided that the family will consist wholly of beavers . . . you know, the animal with the tail and the dams on the rivers and stuff.

What I haven't decided on, though, is what would be more brillianter. Should the family be a beaver family in the normal, human world, and, within the logic of the novel, this is totally accepted and they interact with the human world as if they were humans and no one acknowledges the difference? Or, should the whole novel be set within a beaver universe, where everyone in the world is a beaver, but they act as if they were human?

Tough call.

4 comments:

Taryn said...

I'd go with number two, but only if the whole thing is set in a beaver town called Milledgeville (my apologies if that's spelled incorrectly - though maybe that's part of the magic of fiction).

GHJ said...

This is the brilliantest, Wes Anderson.

Also, if you're going to write like Updike, it's gotta have a lot of sex. I hope some people are ok with this.

TG said...

No, not all assholes. Not Rabbit, Run Updike, more like The Centaur Updike.

You did spell it right.

G: You can't have sex w/o some beav!

GHJ said...

I can't believe I missed the obvious. I can't even pick up on my own stale humor!