I would like to say that I'm still undecided about "Aquatic Life." This is not to say I disliked the film, it's just to say I'm not sure I liked it yet. Or, more importantly, I'm not yet sure that it worked. While I appreciated many of the set-pieces - the model of the ship they move through was rather nice - and I enjoyed the action sequences - especially when Bill Murray goes nuts and forces the pirates off his boat - I'm not yet sure all the pieces really fit together.
For me, I think it is becuase the pay-off is so late. I didn't feel like it came until they got into the submarine and found the jaguar shark. It was perhaps one of the only real or maybe stereotypical "Wes Anderson" moment that I've come to expect from his work in "Aquatic Life". With the other films, it seems that they were easier to piece together because there were more of such moments - such as Gene Hackman taking the kids to the dogfights, or Fisher's father cutting Bill Murray's hair, or Max flying a model plane, etc. Or maybe I haven't thought about it long enough yet.
1 comment:
I agree, Tim. It wasn't nearly as good as his other movies, although I did buy the soundtrack tonight JUST so I could drive around to that music they pipe into their diving suits. [I'll have to burn you a copy -- it's pretty damn good.]
I think my favorite part of the movie was when Willem Dafoe says to Owen Wilson, "I didn't just like it! Do you understand?!" Awesome. One of those rad human moments in his movies.
When we went out here to see it, there were probably about six other couples in the theater. Three of them were dates and three of them were two guys who all sat with one empty seat between them. There was this Asian couple who sat behind us who alarmed me because there was some cheesy soda commercial or something on before the previews that they didn't get. Too satirical. At that point I thought, "Are you really here to watch a Wes Anderson film if you don't get the commercials that are on before it?" Man.
Post a Comment