Title

A place without gurus monarchs leaders cops tax collectors
jails matriarchs patriarchs and all the other galoots who in
cahoots have made the earth a pile of human bones under
the feet of wolves. - Jake the Barker

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Get that kid an Oscar.

So, on Friday K. and I went to see _Wallace and Gromit_. W&G was pretty good. Not quite as good as the shorts, but entertaining nevertheless. What was good however, was the trailer to _Zathura_. Yes, the _Jumanji in Space_ movie. If you haven't yet seen the trailer, somebody from The Hollywood Reporter sums up the movie thus:

The film's plot, from the book by Chris Van Allsburg, is similar to that of a Van Allsburg adaptation which rubbed many viewers the wrong way: "Jumanji." Here again, youngsters discover a board game with magical powers. This time around, instead of unleashing jungle creatures on young players, the game uproots their gorgeous Craftsman home and sets it adrift on the rings of Saturn. Each turn brings a new danger -- from meteor showers and menacing robots to swarms of lizard-monsters -- and the children soon realize they won't see Earth again unless they keep playing.


It is also, I would like to note, directed by Jon Favreau of _Swingers_, _Made_, and _Elf_ fame. Anyway, in this new, extended trailer, the two brothers are playing the Zathura game and one brother draws a card and reads it aloud: "Your robot is defective." The other brother, incredulous at the sheer ridiculousness of this card, replies, "We don't even have a robot!" Of course, then a robot comes out of the hallway and blows a hole in the house or something, but, come one, "We don't even have a robot!" Sheer genius!!!

3 comments:

lisa said...

Say what you will...but I enjoyed Jumanji.

Taryn said...

Lisa, I can't tell from your font whether or not you're being sarcastic.

lisa said...

Unfortunately, I'm not being sarcastic. Usually, it's a safe bet that if I'm typing or speaking, I'm being sarcastic, but this is a rare case of sincerity. In the future I'll try to note sarcasm with angry, bitter ALL CAPS.