Title

A place without gurus monarchs leaders cops tax collectors
jails matriarchs patriarchs and all the other galoots who in
cahoots have made the earth a pile of human bones under
the feet of wolves. - Jake the Barker

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Fuck.

I was having a pretty good day, but now my mood has turned sour. I just found out from l.a. girl that Jason Lee is a Scientologist. Fuck. You know, the guy from _Mallrats_ and _Almost Famous_? Shit. I liked him. And, as I was looking into this, I also found out that Danny Masterson is also a Scientologist. You know, the guy who plays Hyde on _That 70's Show_? Damn. Now I can't pay to watch anything with either of them in it. Fuck. Why couldn't they be bigots? Not that I espouse bigotry, but it's got some historical precedence. It's a concept I can at least understand. For example, I can say, "Sure, T.S. Eliot was a bigot, but his poetry is pretty good." But Scientology? No fucking way. At least bigotry is founded on either gross misperception or a belief in false stereotypes, but Scientologists are just nuts. Bigotry at least is founded on something that may be true of one individual. For example, Mr. X is a bigoted towards grad students because he believes all grad students are lazy and overpaid. While it might be true that one particular grad student is lazy and overpaid, it obviously isn't true for all of them. A stereotype born out of a fact. I'm pretty sure it's not a fact that aliens have or are going to destroy the Earth with nukes . . .

Thoughts on Richard Pryor. Damn. Remember _See No Evil, Hear No Evil_? Gene Wilder was deaf and Richard Pryor was blind? Good stuff.

2 comments:

Taryn said...

Danny Masterson? Man. That is disappointing. But does that at least make him a better actor than he seemed before? After all, at this point he's still capable of some kind of extreme sarcasm/irony in a way that I can't credit John Travolta or Tom Cruise with, even if it's acting.

Brian said...

dude, did you see the recent 'south park' about scientology? if you haven't, please do yourself a favor.