Oh man, Malick's _The New World_ opens soon. This is good news. Excellent! It does star Colin Farrell, which I am not so excited about, but I have no doubt that the excellence of Malick will make up for it.
I do have serious intellectual qualms with the fact that it seems to portray John Smith as something other than a charlatan, which is certainly not the case historically. Ebert mentioned that he thought students should see it because of the "atmosphere." I haven't seen the movie yet, or know much about the Eb, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't say that if he had any historical understanding of John Smith. By all accounts, if you mixed Vince Vaughn's character in _Swingers_ with Will Ferrell's character in _Old School_ with Shakespear's Richard III, you'd have something close . . .
1 comment:
I saw something on PBS about the movie - there was talk about how the filmmaker had pushed hard for total historical accuracy...except for the parts dealing with personalities and relationships.
Post a Comment