I liked the Lucky Jim. Indeed, he is lucky. I don't think I realized it was a novel about the academy when I started it. Generally, being half-in and half-out of it, I'm not so convinced of its charms at the moment, but Dixon gets out of it pretty well in the end.
Two of my favorites:
"A sudden douche of terror then squirted itself all over Dixon."
"He was attacked simultaneously by a pang of fear and the speculation that "ballet" might be a private Welch synonym for "sexual intercourse."
2 comments:
It's not the funniest line, but here's my favorite:
"After reading the joke on the back of the matchbox a few times and laughing at it, he lit a cigarette; this was the only action he could take for the moment."
There, in one sentence, everything you need to know about Jim Dixon, including why he's simultaneously awesome and kind of pathetic.
I love that the joke on the matchbox cracks him up in the midst of his ridiculous quest to catch the girl on time. Classic.
Glad you enjoyed it, man.
Ah, kind of awesome and kind of pathetic.
Post a Comment