Title

A place without gurus monarchs leaders cops tax collectors
jails matriarchs patriarchs and all the other galoots who in
cahoots have made the earth a pile of human bones under
the feet of wolves. - Jake the Barker

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Movie Time.

Last year, I saw 8 movies that were released in 2010. Yes, this is a sad number of movies. I hope to get more this year, but that's probably not very realistic. Only one of these was bad. That bad movie?

Alice in Wonderland: This was awful. All special effects, no character development. Not good. It depresses me it made so much money. I am not impressed Tim Burton, even though I think you are a brilliant stylist, and think a few of your movies are masterpiece-ish. This movie is not one of those movies.

The rest of these were all actually pretty good.

The Other Guys: This movie wasn't quite as good as I hoped it would be. It had some funny bits. I think if I watched it again I'd probably like it more. I saw it in a theater surrounded by pre-teens who find unfunny shit funny. At one point, in a car chase, Will Ferrell manages to hide his car on the upper-deck of a car hauler. Yes, this was impossible to get the car up there. It was a very cheap joke. Raucous laughter around me, with people asking aloud, "How'd they get that car up there?!?!?!" Morons.

Iron Man 2: It was just o.k. Had too many characters. Too much set-up for a future film. Not very good pacing. Entertaining, but not really good.

The Secret of Kells: Animated film about monks in medieval Ireland. Great sense of style. Everything looked like it was cut from paper. The main old guy monk looked like an animated Willie Nelson. Plot wasn't really very interesting, but the look was pretty awesome.

Shutter Island: Well, anything by Scorsese is o.k. by me. Ridiculously ludicrous plot. Leonardo chews the scenery. But fun, very fun.

Sherlock Holmes: More Robert Downey, Jr. Way better than I thought it was going to be. Tons of cool gadgets, lots of drug use, explosions, fist-fights. A manly movie with much rippling man meat.

Toy Story 3: Actually, pretty horrifying. They milked that furnace scene for a loooong time. Buzz in Spanish was the best part. Not my favorite Pixar, but I'd surely watch it again a thousand times when it comes on cable.

Inception: This was probably my favorite movie this year. And though this list isn't really a ranking, I think probably aesthetically the best as well. Everything about this movie was compelling and it looked really cool. It's a cliche, but it was totally gripping. Completely engrossing and the pacing created edge-of-the-seat suspense.

5 comments:

GHJ said...

As usual, your reviews are great more for what was going on around the movie than the movie itself.

Taryn said...

Based on your reviews, I think the only movie I haven't seen that I need to is The Other Guys. Otherwise, I think I've gotten way more entertainment out of your reviews than I'd get out of the movies. (Though that review of Sherlock Holmes might be as equally entertaining and hilarious as the actual movie.)

becca said...

No True Grit?

thoreauvian said...

As you can see - my response to Becca's question has been silence - because silence is born of shame.

becca said...

And I wasn't even trying to shame you. I was just surprised. And DISAPPOINTED.